OK! Now for a completely different type of travel called Medical Tourism. Basically, it's travel to obtain cheaper/better medical services in other countries instead of travel for just business or pleasure. It is the new and up-and-coming thing.
I'm looking at it for one or two procedures for myself namely plastic surgery or liposuction. I can get the same procedure at five to ten times lower cost, with similar results.
Here's what I found so far:
- The advantages of traveling abroad for medical care are lower prices, state-of-the-art hospitals, Western trained doctors who speak English, better access to doctors than in the US, and, my favorite, opportunities to travel.
- The disadvantages of traveling abroad for medical care are logistic problems inherent in long distance travel, lack of follow up care after returning home, and the risk of dealing with substandard hospitals and physicians. Also, there is often no legal recourse if problems turn up.
- Example of estimated cost savings include prostate surgery for $7,000 vs. $40,000 in the US, liposuction for $2,000 vs. $10,000, open-heart bypass surgery for $10,000 vs. $80,000, root canal for $300 vs. $900, and hip replacement for $8,000 vs. $46,000 in the US.
- Add airfares of $1,000 to $2,500. Hotels and hospital stays abroad are also usually a lot cheaper than in the US.
Research everything about Medical Tourism before you go:
Find a good Health Travel Agency. They can handle the difficult items, and their advice is timely.
- Check with your regular doctor and insurance companies. Get ALL of your medical records.
- Travel with a trusted friend and helper.
- Pick a destination using the above sources.
I found out the two best destinations to have plastic surgery or liposuction done:
- For Americans it is, get this, Costa Rica. They have excellent facilities supported primarily by the Costa Rica Government. All the doctors are American or American certified.
- The next best place is, get this, the Czech Republic. They have a huge Plastic Surgery Center aimed at serving Europeans and Americans.
I probably walked past the facility in Prague and didn't even know it…
Here is a quick list of More Travel Secrets:
Go to the Page on My Way to Travel
When Do I Take a Tour?
Take a Tour without a Tour
Here is a quick list of Different Kinds Of Travel:
Different Kinds Of Travel
Losing Weight Travel
One Road Travel