Europe Travel Tips

Here is a quick list of Europe Travel Tips. I will be adding more travel tips as I go along.

  • The universal Emergency number is 112.

    One euro coin.

  • Money in Europe. Most of the countries in Europe use the 'euro'. The euro notes are the same in all the countries, but euro coins are different for each nation. There is one common side and one side showing a national emblem or symbol for each country.

    The euro is used in Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Slovenia and Slovakia. (Many territories use the euro as well such as Andorra, Monaco, Kosovo, Montenegro, San Marino and Vatican City.

  • Electricity requirements. All Europe has 220-240 volt AC/ 50 cycle alternating current.

    • Most European countries have two-pin plugs, type C.

      Ungrounded Type C European Plug.

      Grounded Type C European Plug.

    • The exception is that the United Kingdom, along with Cyprus, Ireland, and Malta has square three-pin plugs, type G.

      United Kingdom square three-pin plug.

    • Check the appliance for the appropriate voltage required. It's in the manual or it's printed on the item itself.

  • Cell phones normally work anywhere due to international roaming. Check with the network provider if it covers the country you're visiting. Also check the prices for international calls; they can be frighteningly high. Look in to buying a local SIMM chip for the country in Europe you're in. Or rent a local cell phone at the airport.

  • Disabilities and the traveler. Most countries in Europe are NOT as accessible as places in the United States.

    This is due to older infrastructure and a lag in awareness of the needs of physically challenged people.

    This is changing, especially in larger European cities. Each country is different. For more information, click on Disability Travel and Recreation Resources.

  • There is no vaccination shots required to enter Europe. For the latest info click on Centers for Disease Control and Prevention or ask your doctor.

  • Check with your medical insurance company on its policy for trips outside your country of residence.

  • Alcoholic beverages. In Europe, the drinking age is 18.

  • Taxes in Europe. VAT (Value Added Tax) is included in most prices in Europe. Travelers can qualify for VAT refunds for certain items. Here are some Travel Tips on VAT Refunds.

  • Stores' open hours vary greatly between Europe countries. In some places stores are closed for lunch and on Sundays. Check the travel tip section in the guidebooks for each region for details. Large department and grocery stores usually have longer hours.

  • Tipping is not expected as it is in the USA. If you do tip, round up the fare for taxi rides. In restaurants, the service tip is included, check the menus. If not, 5% tipping or a few euros extra are normal.

    Stamps only work in the country they were  purchased in

  • Stamps only work in the country they were purchased in. Italian stamps only work in Italy even though it's in euros.

Here are some important road skills:

Go to page on Safety First

What to do about Lost Travelers

Travel Health

Motion Sickness and Sea Sickness

Diarrhea and Its Cures

Travel Money

The Euro

Travel Phrases

Foreign Languages

Chinese Characters

Useful Travel Tools

Tourist Information

Electronic Travel Applications

Audio Tours for museums and cities

Travel Weather

Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.